The mission of Education for Successful Parenting (ESP) is to improve children’s wellbeing by preparing youth for parenting — before they conceive the next generation of children. We offer curriculum with lesson plans, onsite classes, and instructor training for schools and youth programs.
We envision a world in which …
- All parents are prepared, knowledgeable, competent and confident in handling their responsibilities.
- All children are safe and loved.
We believe “successful parents” are those who …
- Fulfill their responsibility to provide for, protect, and nurture their children
- Navigate the challenges and enjoy the journey of parenting
- Raise children who can realize their unique potential and dreams
Improve the overall health and capabilities of children
- Improve preconception health awareness among youth
- Reduce prenatal exposure to alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Increase use of folic acid and prenatal care
- Prevent child maltreatment
- Increase child safety and wellbeing
Improve social and economic environments for families
- Encourage personal life-planning and goal-setting for family formation
- Reduce teen pregnancy
- Increase fatherhood involvement
The Need for Better Family Beginnings
In too many instances, parents are unprepared to provide for, protect, and nurture their children. Our country ranks highest among developed countries for rates of children born to teen parents, children living in poverty, fatherless children, and foster children.
If we are ever to stem the tide of children in need, we must empower adolescents with critical decision-making skills for raising the next generation.