Educate Tomorrow’s Parents (ETP) is inviting submissions of creative expressions of the “The Dream of Family” from teens (ages 13-21) in the Triangle area (Raleigh-Durham and surrounding towns) of North Carolina. The Showcase is promoting pre-parenting education and supporting ETP’s mission of creating better beginnings for children and families.
Submission Forms – Deadline extended to April 29
All entries must include a submission form. You can download the instructions and forms below.
Criteria for acceptance into the Showcase
- All submissions MUST relate to the theme “The Dream of Family.” You can use the submission forms to explain how your piece is connected to the theme.
- All submissions MUST be family-friendly and appropriate for children attending the event.
When do submissions need to be turned in? When will teens hear if their work will be included in the Showcase?
ETP is accepting submissions NOW! There will be rolling acceptances of admissions. In other words, the sooner you turn in a submission, the sooner you will hear. The final deadline for submissions is April 15, 2016.
What types of “creative expressions” can be submitted?
- Artwork – drawing, painting (flat art unmatted or lightweight mats only; no frames or glass)
- Creative writing – poetry, short essays, tributes to family
- Sculpture – not to exceed 3 feet in height, width, or depth
- Photography – photos that include people must attach permissions from their subjects and from a parent or legal guardian if the subject is a child
- Dance – hiphop, modern, ethnic, ballet
- Music – vocal, instrumental
- Spoken word – poem, storytelling, play
- Video – family-friendly content
What are some benefits of participating?
- Visibility – Teens’ work will be seen by an appreciative audience of friends, family, schools, media and the public. Several teens have had their work published after the Showcase, and others have had their performances featured in YouTube videos.
- Community service hours – This is a fun way to increase awareness of ETP and pre-parenting education, helping ETP to receive support and serve more teens.
- Certificates – All accepted artists will receive a Certificate of Participation and token of appreciation.
- Awards – Three awards of $250 will be granted for selected works best expressing “The Dream of Family.”
- Print and complete the submission forms above.
- Turn in your submission forms with your creative expressions as soon as possible, before the April 15 deadline.
- If your school or program is coordinating submissions, give your submission to the contact person / instructor, and they will arrange submission to ETP.
How can teachers and youth leaders facilitate their teens’ submissions?
- Email ETP as soon as possible about your teens’ intentions to participate so that we can keep you updated and make adequate plans for time and space in the program – email@example.com
- Provide your teens with time, materials, and guidance for their submissions. Some teachers offer students extra credit.
- Encourage best efforts, practice, and timely submissions.
- Plan to attend the event to support your teens.
- Keep ETP informed of your teens’ progress and expected date of submission.
- Schedule an ETP pickup of display art submissions from your location.
If your submission is accepted, what do you need to know about the day of the Showcase?
- All teens are strongly encouraged to arrive early for the event and stay for the entire time (from 1pm to 4:30pm). ETP will be onsite from the time the mall opens, so you can arrive as early as you like.
- There will be a check-in process. You will receive a badge identifying you as one of our featured artists.
- More details to follow.
Need some inspiration?
Here are some prompts that have inspired teens’ creativity:
- What does “family” mean to you?
- What did you experience that you would like to do the same / different for your child?
- What kind of parent do you want to be to your child?
- What activities are you looking forward to sharing with your child? (everyday activities, special occasions and holidays, milestones)
- What will your home be like? What does “home” mean to you?